Beyond the fog lies security in the cloud
Today’s Cloud, in many cases, may be more secure than your typical on-prem server.
Microsoft Azure has a vast platform of security certifications and has committed to being an industry leader when it comes to security. They were even the first cloud provider to adopt the new international cloud privacy standard, ISO 27018. Microsoft is not the only provider committing to advanced security measures Amazon’s AWS Cloud is also ramping up its security efforts.
Cloud providers have heard the security concern loud and clear and they’ve answered.
But even if a platform is secure, that doesn’t mean your data is secure.
Here are some things to consider:
- Figure out what you want from your cloud provider when it comes to security. For example For example, AWS has several built-in services that provide log and network flow information, such as CloudWatch and CloudTrail. Tools like these are powerful and extremely configurable, provided you know how to use them and know what you want them to do. And that reporting is only useful if there are processes in place to review and act upon it.
- Have you moved your data with the same access controls as your current locations? This is a bigger job than many realize. A third party can take the load off your team and can even help clean up of old data at the same time.
- Are you just moving your problems? Review your current data and setup so you simply don’t transfer risk from on-prem to the Cloud.
- Cloud Clean-up. You may not know it now, but there’s a good chance some of your employees went rogue and signed up for cloud service providers on their own using company credentials. In fact, 28.2% of business data is uploaded to unsanctioned cloud service providers. There are tools that can determine which Cloud services are being accessed and what kind of data is going where.
- Come to terms with the fact Cyber Security is always a threat. It’s best to have a layered approach to ensure all of your bases are covered. And make sure governance is controlled no matter what Cloud solution you use.